Tuesday, March 31, 2009

PEN PAL .. hehe, joke lang

Cong. Joseph Emilio A. Abaya
Rm. S-206 House of Representatives
Quezon City

March 31, 2009

Good day to you, Sir.

Before anything else, I would like to introduce myself. I am Kiarra Marie F. Vallido, a freshman from the University of the Philippines Diliman taking up Broadcast Communication and I am from the town of Noveleta.

I have to admit that I really feel awkward writing a letter to my congressman, but I know I shouldn’t be because I have enough reason to write to you, Sir. You ARE my representative in Congress after all—you need to know the opinions or ideas of the people you represent and we, in turn, need to know yours, too. ‘Di po ba, Sir?

First, forgive me for this humble letter of mine. Since this is the first time that I’m writing to a congressman, some points might be fairly unclear. I apologize in advance. I also think, Sir, that you should know that I am not a politics-person. I am not that knowledgeable of the going-ons of the government, although I will ask you, Sir, about a few bills you’ve authored/co-authored. Nevertheless, I do not write to mainly scrutinize your work but I write to express my thoughts as a mere citizen of the country.

I’ve put here a list of my thoughts and questions.

a.) a.) HB00305 AN ACT TO STRENGTHEN AND ENHANCE THE USE OF ENGLISH AS THE MEDIUM OF INSTRUCTION IN PHILIPPINE SCHOOLS – I was quite surprised when I read this. I am not really against the English language and strengthening and enhancing it as the medium of instruction in Philippine schools. I only want to ask what your reason/s is/are why you’ve passed this bill. Why strengthen and enhance Filipino as the medium of instruction? Our national language, as to what I’ve observed, is slowly losing its ‘quality’ with the development of Taglish and Gay-lingo. Strengthening and enhancing Filipino as the medium of instruction in our schools would be an effective way to build a sturdy foundation of our language. It may actually help in regaining the ‘quality’ of our language.

b.) b.) HR00334 RESOLUTION TO DISMISS THE VERIFIED COMPLAINT FOR THE IMPEACHMENT OF PRESIDENT GLORIA MACAPAGAL-ARROYO FILED BY ATTY. ROBERTO RAFAEL J.PULIDO FOR ALLEGED BETRAYAL OF PUBLIC TRUST – I hope questioning this resolution won’t offend you, Sir. It’s just that, being a student from UP, I am surrounded by activists and though I am not one myself, I am a bit astonished with this resolution. I confess I am intrigued. If it’s all well to you Sir, may you explain why? I will, with much respect, fully accept your decision regarding my question.

c.) c.) HB02845 AN ACT TO STRENGTHEN THE UNIVERSITY OF THE PHILIPPINES AS THE PREMIER STATE UNIVERSITY – I have no question with this bill. I am just wondering, Sir, can you do something about the present state of UP? It’s now a national university, if I am not mistaken. A friend told me that a state university that becomes a national university would mean the government removing hands off it, removing the responsibility from the government to subsidize it. Does UP, a former state university, becoming a national university explain the TOFI or tuition and other fees increase? And if it does, can you do something about it?

d.) d.) Corruption is inevitable in SKs, I’ve heard that many times. Well, I agree. I just want to ask, is there a program that somehow trains SK officers to, at least be more productive or creative with their projects? And if there isn’t one, will you consider passing a bill that creates one (if it’s possible)?

e.) e.) Being the chairman of the Committee in Science and Technology, do you plan starting the development in the district that you represent? If so, how? Also, Sir, I understand that your committee has a very critical role in the development of the country. In one of my classes, we’ve talked about how our country is so rich with natural resources we just don’t have the technology to maximize its potential. What steps are you planning to take to be able to reach that desired technological aspect of our country?

These are all I would like to disclose, Sir. If there’s anything that has offended you or just anything that is inappropriate, I apologize.

It’s really an honor for me that you’ve given time to read my simple letter in spite of your schedule. I understand that you are busy, Sir, so I don’t expect a fast reply.

I sincerely thank you, Sir. May you continue giving excellent service not only to the CaviteÑos but also to the Filipino people and may God’s guidance and grace be with you always.

With much respect,

Kiarra Marie F. Vallido

(794 words)

No comments:

Post a Comment